Wednesday, August 07, 2019

A COUPLE OF MARINES - a FORCE

I had a mission today with Marines. My brother, also Navy, supported the effort. Words like "Chosin", and "Khe Sanh" rolled off their capped teeth on hot embers of memories that won't fade. Dick Miller came out of the Marines to a career as a polymer chemist with over 300 patents.

Retired and recently relocated here, he seeks to learn more of the area and find a bridge group. Jeff Nita Bohannon ( 1st. Sgt. Jeff) retired and served as a prison Warden before a second retirement.

We also met an Army Korea-era vet at Socios. We enjoyed some time with Ed and Sandy Faxlanger who raised 7 children most of whom chose wisely to serve in the Navy. They are friends with another local Marine we admire named "Red" James (record naval aviator combat missions in Korea) .

Dick and I also dropped by Johns2 Barber Shop in Pace to get the lay of the land for future cut hairs. I plan to get Mr Miller around the area a bit to meet children his own age. I plan to bring him to the Jay Historical talk Thursday at 6pm.

Fascinating factoids:
My cousin, Rogene Kilpatrick (deceased) was in the same Marine unit as Mr. Miller at the Battle of Chosin Reservoir. 1/5
A poem found in his memoirs. (Google Chosin Battle) https://drive.google.com/…/1NZmvoTthznqMkHP-m3Sly4MuL…/view…
I was in the same pickup bed with Jeff on a Future Farmer trip from Chumuckla, Florida to the Tampa State Fair in 1964.
I counted four purple hearts between the two marines.
A nice lady stopped by to thank the vets and unknown to us - she paid for our lunch ! I had given her some Irish Blessings when she spoke to us.
PHOTOS 

No comments: